Sunday, April 24, 2022

Skirmishes

James is an awesome person. He is typically easy going and is happiest when everyone around him is happy. He is smart and a sleeper, taking everything in and not showing it until he's ready. He has a fun, semi-goofy sense of humour. 

When he was younger, James would skip, jump, and run about - as a very young child he loved to dance about. Now that he's well into his teen years he's discovered the joys of sleeping in lounging his best life in his large, comfy bed. Hormones and hangriness occasionally change his mood and attitude. 

Hulk, saying he is hangry

This weekend, I needed James to complete part of his daily routine and he refused. For several minutes, and without losing patience, I kept in his vicinity and repeating the request to complete the activity. James became more upset and made a ball with his fist at my eye level. When I put my hand up in a "stop" motion, he punched it. Not terribly hard, but still.  He also chose to swear at me. 

I explained that I was now removing the internet router, so no internet. I took it out into the garden with me. For several minutes I was breathing deeply, trying to calm down, review what could have been done differently, and listening to see if he would now attempt to open an outside door and elope. 

Eventually, James did come out to show me he'd completed the activity and to say he was sorry. "I didn't mean to, Mother," he said. I believe him, but this could have gone very differently for someone who did not know him as I do. 

I made sure he understood that I was not happy about his behavior and thanked him for completing his task and coming to talk with me. Then I made sure he had a good lunch to eat. The day went much better after that.

No comments: