Friday, April 22, 2022

Espresso So We Can Forte

It's Friday! Made it through another week. Luckily there was strong coffee in my actual Peet's mug, as James did not want to get out of bed. He was snuggly rolled up like a burrito in a blanket on his freshly laundered bedding, loving the heck out of his bed. It would have made a great commercial. School and work wait for no one, however.

Photo of a comfortable bed, sheets turned

I gave James 10 minutes to rise and shine on his own (he has started to do this, so I keep trying to encourage it). All the while I am sipping down java, getting out his breakfast, and revving my parental mode. Thank goodness for our morning routine. We both know what's coming - James is the teen fulcrum, waiting for me to lever him into starting his day and getting out the door on time.

Photo of a Peet's coffee mug, maroon with Peet's logo

The saving grace in all this is the flexible work schedule that allows me to relax enough to match James' playful mood - thank goodness he is rarely cranky or surly in the morning. He knows once I arrive in his room with the morning hygiene kit that getting out of bed is now inevitable. He good-naturedly picks a new shirt for school and puts it on as we start the routine.

Breakfast is consumed, with a few testing skirmishes on his Kindle. We assemble his lunch and I make sure his reading log gets into his backpack so he gets points for this work. The van pickup arrives earlier than it has all week, coinciding nicely with the garbage truck roaring around our block on it's pickup run.

Without any prompting, James takes his meds. I acknowledge this with a "Great job - I really appreciate your hustle this morning" and bundled him into the van with him still in a playful mood. Inside, both my fists are in the air and I am silently shouting "Yes! YES!!!!"

Because yesterday, it was me chasing him around the house, bad word scripting galore, over the course of 5 minutes before he grudgingly took his meds. Looking forward to the weekend!

No comments: