Thursday, November 17, 2011

Calm Interlude

James overslept this morning. I actually had to wake him up for school. It's so unusual for him to sleep in and not be sick -- it's maybe the 4th time that I can recall having to do this.

He actually talked with me, asking where his Daddy was and if he could say goodbye to him (before he left for work). When I told him his Daddy had already left, he asked if his sister had said goodbye to Daddy, and seemed relieved when I said yes. Then he climbed into my lap nad snuggled with me.

I was struck again with the semi novelty of having James be my buddy, the way his big sister was. It's not that we didn't love each other. There was just no reaching out on is part and establishing a close relationship like this before. James is actively participating, and I just love it.

For a change, James was calm through a shortened breakfast and school prep morning. His sister's testiness did not phase him, as it has on other mornings. He read his books instead. On the sofa, in the car, and after school while we ran errands and then came home.

His aide and teacher both said he had a great day, concentrating well and doing lots of classwork. He even reminded the students to sing Happy Birthday for their classmate. While I was talking with his aide after school, he went up to kids he knew and tried to socialize with them, instead of trying to wander off or fall on the ground, wailing "I want to go HOME!"

He ate a good dinner and cheerfully submitted to doing about half an hour of homework (after the token "NO!!!" and trying to run away to the nearest, plushest piece of upholstered furniture). He took his evening meds and asked me to read to him - another new and unusual thing for him to do. He even produced the books and listened with the biggest smile.

His Daddy came home just as we finished up, so they got to spend some time with each other. He fell asleep soon after. As I tucked the blankets around him and got ready to close his door, I picked his 2 books off the bed and put them on the table.

These guys have been with him all day!

After the upset of last week and weekend, it's so nice to see James calm and happy again. Doing to well. Being my Buddy.

No comments: