Friday, June 28, 2019

Pause and Reflect

Over the past month, the kids and I, especially James, have had to deal with a lot of new programs (doctors, summer school programs, etc.). It's been bumpy, but I've been here before. This has me thinking of what I pull from sometimes to cope with autism, learning issues, and behaviour/emotional problems.

I have a creative, visual style. Words are great, but there are many ways to communicate. I used to draw my feelings, stories, moods. I sang. I danced. I painted. I participated in group art classes and learned that no two people see the world in the same way, which is truly amazing.

I traveled. While in high school, college, and after. I learned the value of places that are public and offer services. I learned to be resourceful and friendly, while being alert to my surroundings. I found that the little things can matter more that the big tourism totems. I learned the value of listening. I learned how to change plans and change with them - because sometimes it ends up being better. And if not, there's always another change coming, and that one could be a really nice one.

I played sports. I learned to take being the only girl in a class of boys for swimming, skiing, playing soccer or football. Cross country taught me how to put my head down and focus on putting one step in front of the other to get through a rough patch. Swimming, yoga, and dance taught me how to breathe and let tension go. Just keep moving forward.

I have good friends, who let me vent, get weepy, and do a neat trick of soothing, humourous support of "yeah, this is crazy - now get back out there, Girl!" I have a really, really great best friend who from way back when saw life with me as a chance to turn challenges into a kind of game.

My family. My parents loved my brother and me - to the moon and back. I have such good memories of trips, reading, music, meals, jokes, and holidays. I want to share these with my kids and have good memories built with them too. I want them to know the security of having relatives who love them, unconditionally.

I read a lot. It helps me imaging other points of view. I learn constantly. It takes me away when I am stuck, sad and frustrated. When I need to rest or visit an old friend, I pick up a paperback, laptop, or Kindle Fire and access to almost any time, anywhere.

This makes me thankful I've had the chance to acquire a base like this.

I'd love to talk with other parents some day, and hear them talk about what they pull from to deal with their lives.

No comments: