Wednesday, June 05, 2019

Dental, the OR Way

So, oral hygiene and James do not get along. I am not good at getting him on track, because, well, life. Divorce, move, evacuation, deaths in the family, topped with a Really Horrible 18 months of school equals a LOT of dental work, including a back molar that James attacked after being hounded at his new school by one of its top administrators.

I know the drill by now. Talk about impending procedure with James, but not too much. Hide nothing. Remain calm. Be positive and encouraging. Don't think about the aftermath. Lalalalalalalala.

This morning I was up at 4:30. We were on the road about 5:30 and watched the sun rise over the wine country and big city commute traffic back up in the other direction. Checked in at 7:00 and got banded. Called back to pre-op about 8:10.

There we did the change to gown and four sets of review of Med History, surgery goals, and anesthesia plans while he was taped up for O2 saturation and heart monitoring. This staff is good. James downed two oral meds and opted to have the IV inserted while he was awake. It could not have gone more smoothly.

I walked him down to surgery. He was scrolling on the nurse's phone to find a YouTube video to listen to as they wheeled him into the OR room. That was at 10:10. It's 11:40. I have had breakfast, answered emails, and am settling down to wait. I figure I have another 45 minutes to go. I'll keep watching the OR board and think positive.

And: I have registration paperwork to fill out. A better school for James is coming. So thankful for that!

No comments: