Sunday, March 25, 2012

Sunday Trip to the Med Center

After sleeping beautifully for two 10-hour+ stints and responding to OTC pain meds, I settled into waiting out the GI bug. I called in sick to my work shift and sent an email to James' teacher.

Then James started crying and moaning again early this morning, and I could not get him started on the acetaminophen. He ate only a little and drank less than yesterday. I asked him to point where it hurt and he consistently pointed to the right side of his abdomen.

So I called the advice nurse, who confirmed there was no fever, no yamminess (a polite euphemism for result of nausea),  and that he could walk. She booked an telephone appointment with an on-call doctor for later that day. This is a person who knows James, so I felt better about talking with them.

We had our call, and to be on the safe side, she had me bring him in this afternoon. After a friendly and thorough exam, new diagnosis is: constipation. Back to square one. We did another blood test just in case, and this one did not go smoothly.

I am now trying to figure out how to get mineral oil into James without triggering his gag reflex. And not pound my head against the wall until all is calm once more.

Deep breaths ...

No comments: