Sunday, September 29, 2019

Fall 2019 IEP - The Idyllic One

James' annual IEP was last Monday. For the first time in a loooooooong time, I did not stress, request backup, or have a lawyer in tow. Goals and testing were shared with me prior to the main event without my asking for them. Adjustments were made per pre-discussion with his teacher.

It was a welcome change - to come in the room, know they players, review testing, performance, and goals while knowing that the school has really been looking at James and his abilities. He still has a lot of supports due to his challenges and loss of skills after years of turmoil across 4 campuses and 2 school districts.

The school asked if I'd be open to functional behavioural testing. I have been begging the schools for this since 5th grade and it's been dismissed as unnecessary. So heck yes, let's do that.

The teachers and therapists all approached his IEP with good things to say about James, despite all his testing behaviours and difficulties in keeping him in the classroom. After each goal was announced, there was a brief discussion, a look my way, and "agreed" from me. I asked only a few questions for clarification, shared some insights missing, and suggested one additional goal, which was adapted with enthusiasm. We got this thing snapped along and finished within 90 minutes.

Last year it took 10 months across 3 different campuses to finish James' IEP. This included lengthy legal action on both sides. I wanted this IEP to be an opportunity to pull focus on where James is now, and a fresh start to build a strong foundation for him so he can live as independently as possible. I think this IEP did a good job setting this up.

I feel like Anova, James' new school, has our back, and I am savouring the moment.

No comments: