Thursday, October 06, 2011

Parental Phone Activist

Okay, here goes -- I am blogging while making calls to Jerry Brown, Governor of California, to ask that he pass SB 946.

I am going to call several times and blog about the process. In part because I am fairly phoneophobic at this point and partly because I procrastinate well heading into the unknown (it's like whistling in the dark for me):

11:01 am. Busy signal. Okay, off to find the cool Dr Seuss-like illustration from Autism Votes that I saw on FB. Back soon ...

11:03 am. Screenshot captured. Dialing. Busy signal. Okay, now to get that picture into this post.
From the Autism Votes FaceBook page
11:05 am. Here goes something ... aaaaaand more busy. Hey, company! Keep on phonin'!

11:06 am: What the hey? Okay, busy! Get some more staffers in there. how about an anchor tag while I wait, so provide more bill info?

11:11 am - busy! Test the anchor tags ...

11:18 am -- stoopid code. Busy.

11:21, :22, :23 and :24 am: ditto. Where is the love? Will work on grocery list and keep calling. If I haven't got through by the end of my list, I take a break from calling.

11:25, :26 ... busy.

11:27 am -- hey, that's ringing! Pressing 1 for English ... Pressing 6 to speak with a staff member.  Recording that my call is being transferred. Holding. Listening to a recording that a staffer will speak with me shortly. repeat 5 times.

11:30 am -- speaking to a live staffer! very polite. I ask that the governor sign sb 946. As a parent of a child on the spectrum, it will help get him the services he needs now so that he won't need more later. I am assured that this message will be passed on to the governor.

I ask if there is anything further I can do to let the governor know how important this bill is to our families and many others like us. He suggests sending a fax to the governor's office or sending an email through the governor's website, being sure to select sb 946 from the drop-down menu. I thank him and we wish each other a nice day.

11:31 am -- hang up.

11:32 am - find governor's website and start email. I select that I need help and find sb 946 alllll the way at the bottom of the drop-down menu for PLEASE CHOOSE YOUR SUBJECT:

11:57 am -- email sent.

If you're reading this -- please consider calling and making your voice heard.

No comments: