Monday, December 05, 2022

Breaking Down Eating

 It is common for autistic people to have a small and inflexible group of foods that they will eat. For both my kids, all their senses were acute. I was also a stressed working mom and so missed a crucial window of getting my kids to eat a variety of foods. 

Sean Bean meme - not eating

All this to say that both my kids love carbs and plain foods. For a while I had success with getting them to eat apples and bananas. No more. Tomato sauce on pizza is the closest they get to a vegetable (no, no fries any more either). There was a week where I could get them to eat raw bits of broccoli, because they thought it was funny. No more. No popcorn, but they will eat tortilla chips.

For a while, James had a pretty good diet. Then our world broke up, broke apart, caught on fire, and kept falling apart on us. There were unresolved dental issues. James decided eating was a pain and his dietary world narrowed to cheese pizza, milk, and croissants.

Gradually, I, some family members, school, and ABA have encouraged James to re-expand his diet. I felt like Queen of the World when I got him to eat a warm pretzel in Golden Gate Park during COVID-19 lockdowns. Then ABA got him to make (and even eat) a quesadilla and a PB&J. His aunt got him to try strawberries and melon. His teeth are in much better shape and I think that is encouraging him as well.

Now ABA is providing a nutritionist to work with us on new foods and approaches for James. Like so much else that I have experienced with James, this involves breaking things down (introductions, preferences, actual tastes, bites, chewing, etc.) over several months to support a more robust and healthy diet. Bon appétit, mon fils, bon appétit.

No comments: