Sunday, April 18, 2021

Autism Parenting While Sick

 Okay, my second COVID-19 dose (Moderna) is taking more out of me than I wanted. Thus I am doing something I have not had to do for over a year: Parenting while sick.

As per usual, parenting a child (or teen) from your sickbed s a lot like normal parenting, only more so. I have experienced several varieties of this: married, with a toddler and preschooler. on up through the ages as our marriage broke up, until I was single parenting it across two households.

I found several useful strategies - many of which are captured in this nifty article: "Mom Is Sick! How to Parent Like a Champ When You Feel Terrible".


Cleaning standards were relaxed to a ridiculous degree. I fell in love with our washer dryer (and I am eternally thankful that I did not get sick at the same time my son did when we lived in an upstairs apartment with coin-op machines below that were not often free). Dishwasher? I love you too (when you worked)! 

My folks helped too, but my dad was not in the best of health, so we had to be careful. Their grocery drops were lifesavers. I was not able to connect with a lot of moms and we moved out of my former support network, so while help from friends did happen, it was not often.

I am proudest of the times (years ago) that I could set up a reading tent or get this kids to set up blanket forts while playing with me lying on the carpet nearby. There was also blanket time on the sofa with way too much Nogggin TV. For several years, James' big sister was amazing with taking over as activities coordinator and bringing me my water. 

This time: We each have our own bathrooms - thank you, thank you! Our new place is small, so we can yell encouraging things to each other through the walls. Thanks to the pandemic - I have a stocked pantry and home deliveries are still widely available.

ABA is also on hand, coordinating goals to help clean the kitchen a bit and keep himself on his school schedule. Tomorrow is supposed to be an in-classroom day. Ummmmm. We'll see.

I hate being sick when my kids need me. I now think about what will happen to James when I am not here ... and make another note on my pad: "Transition Programs, etc." - because, yeah.

No comments: