Wednesday, October 14, 2020

IEP via Zoom a la COVID-19 in 2020

 So James' triennial IEP was last month. Assessments were largely done online, with some phone calls. Because of COVID-19 and lack of guidelines for IEP testing and enforcement during a pandemic, this all happened very close to the IEP meeting. Legally, this all needs to be set up and results and proposed goals available two weeks in advance of the meeting. Normally the meeting and attendees are set. I hardly ever get the test results and proposed goals before I sit down at the meeting table, but that is another story. 

 In fact, with 10 days or less before the meeting, I still did not have confirmation that it was happening and who was attending. I had to call to to confirm this, as I had to plan my remote work schedule and PTO requests. The interview call with the teacher was 2 days before the IEP. 

I get it. Normally, I have notes prepared about how James is doing right now, where he needs support, and thoughts about goals for the coming year - not rubber stamping goals, actual helpful, educational goals. This year I had almost nothing.  

I was so nervous, because James' placement is up for discussion each year now. Luckily, this was renewed for the school year and what I still call Summer School. The meeting participants joined the Zoom call. It was one of the quickest meetings I have had for James. We are all iffy on the ability to set and monitor effective goals but we are giving it our best shot. I can always call for a meeting later to discuss or ask for amendments. 14 year into this and we are still establishing baselines ... 

Tonight, 49 pages and an attachment file with notes and questions, I have reviewed, signed, and returned, with comments/questions. I am exhausted.

No comments: