Saturday, February 02, 2019

More Of This

I wish this could be shared with special needs parents who need support and encouragement, and at staff trainings for all schools, preschool through high school.

My takeaways yesterday from the emergency IEP yesterday:
  • The importance of parents of autistic kids having confidence, overall, with their relationship with their little ones, their kids, their teens. 
  • It is amazing to me (again) how many trained professionals (their terms, I am not randomly labelling them) know so much less than I do about working with special needs kids, and mine in particular. This is not a put-down. It's a call for collaboration.
  • The impact and results from people coming together to talk and listen to each other to solve a situation that is not working for both groups can be extremely profound.
  • That parents being advocates sometimes needs to include being the one who teaches others and keeps the focus of a support group on track.
  • NEVER underestimate the importance of telling others who your child is, especially if, like James, they lack the communication skills to do so.  
We had one of the best meetings so far with this district. I could feel the change taking place in the energy in the room. I felt it most acutely after telling the group this:
James is, basically, a happy guy. He's funny and smart. He wants others to be happy. He wants to be like his peers and he will reflect what is modeled before him. He cannot communicate verbally all the things going on inside his head or his emotions. This is a large part of why he exhibits behaviours.
I felt listened to. It was energizing. I hope that my listening to their struggles and attempts to support or give advice for them were helpful too. In the end, our reason for being in that room was for James, as it should be, and I think that's going to be the start of a change for the better.

No comments: