Saturday, July 16, 2022

Extra Sensory Days

 Yesterday and today, both my son and I have experienced what I think of as extra sensory days. For myself, this means I have no tolerance for interruptions of any kind and go through the day (with things constantly going wrong) feeling hangry despite not being hungry. I fix one thing and two more things break. I am thirsty and water does not help. I find a moment of calm and James comes out with questions about King Jong-Un, 9/11, WW I. and how to remove a child-proof cap from his meds. Also, to tell me he did not try texting people at 4AM and why is he being blocked on his phone?  Ahhhhhhh!

Mom's Last Nerve

It started when I had to take James with me to my morning eye appointment, because school's out, this was the earliest I could schedule, and my eye sight's been wonky, even with newer reading glasses. James trailed me in, not very happy to be rousted out of been on his summer vacation for this. He kept sidling down hallways when he should stay put, stopping in said hallways and blocking others when we moved to the next exam room, constant verbal stims that included some swear words, and finally backed out of the room in the middle of me having a light in my eye and having to remain still. Mama Spidey-sense is a Thing. I felt like a drill sergeant by the appointment's end.

The staff, were all wonderful and understanding. No one was cranky or raised their voice. They were calm and extremely kind. I cannot say enough good about them. Especially when James informed me, back in the parking lot, that he left his drink cup in the last exam room. Grrrrrrr. No worries - it was up at the nurses' station when I went back and everyone was upbeat about its being reunited with its owner.

Back at home, the cats were punks and tested gravity with a vengeance and one escaped to the great outdoors, grounding us until he returned. Buh-bye plans to meet up with friends at the bowling alley. The fix on the van's a/c broke and then required a more expen$ive repair. The replacement part turned out to be faulty .... Buh-bye planned road trip and weekend gathering with friends. 

James has been extra bothered by noises I can barely hear and routinely tune out (barking dogs. kids on bikes, and leaf blower blocks and blocks away). It's left him in the yellow zone and more prone to swearing. I still have to semi-barricade the side door to dissuade him from going into the neighbour's yard. I feel it works better than me constantly verbally telling him to leave the door alone.

We are hunkering down at home. Thankful it's ours and quiet today. Thankful for the repaired a/c in our van and a very honest and trustworthy mechanic. Thankful for my mom, who picked us up from the mechanic's one day and brought us back the next. Thankful for understanding medical staff. Now I think the only thing we might need later is ice cream ...

No comments: