Tuesday, April 02, 2019

Inclusion Benefits Us All

From the time we started to discuss James' transition from an SDC Preschool to Kindergarten, I pushed for Inclusion. The school was against it. I can understand why - James would need a one-on-one aide, which is expensive, in addition to speech, O/T, and Adaptive PE.

But this is my kids and I had been reading about the benefits of early intervention since James was a toddler. I had also seen him be successful and really benefit when he was with typically developing peers.

In preschool, I enrolled him in our town's Parks & Rec preschool summer camp sessions. He'd been able to receive his SHAPE services one year at a private preschool his a regular class. He participated in group Swim lessons and later youth summer camp morning sessions (again through our Parks & Rec).

For all these classes, I first met with the program directors, introduced myself and James, told them why I wanted to try this and explained what I thought some obstacles might be. It helped that James was shy, cute as a button, liked people, and never bit or hit others. We always agreed that if there were problems, we would stop. We never had to, thank goodness.

What did James get out of this? Well, it help make him less isolated. People fell in love with him. Kids got used to him. He learned from his peers, and began to model more typical behaviours. His speech improved! I like to think it helped him develop some confidence.

The farther along the process I've come, the more I've noticed the flip side of Inclusion - society gets to know and become comfortable - even a little bit more - with autism, special needs, and disabilities. They become part of their daily lives.

And the kids? Let me just quote this PBS Kids article:

  • "Children develop a positive understanding of themselves and others.

"When children attend classes that reflect the similarities and differences of people in the real world, they learn to appreciate diversity. Respect and understanding grow when children of differing abilities and cultures play and learn together."
...
Given today's trend towards division and our government's attack on services and protections for those with disabilities, this is so important. We all need to remember and understand that we, us, humanity comes in all shapes, sizes, beliefs, and abilities.

No comments: