Saturday, July 17, 2010

SOOC: Wishes, Birthday & Others

First, Happy 55th birthday to Disneyland -- a place that really understands wishes ...
wishing on a star

... bright colours & fun ...
have some birthday flowers and a hat or 2


... and how to treat kids with special needs like every other special and loved child who comes through their gates:
Mickey gives James a big hug, for the 5th time that weekend


I've loved it before my first visit in '77. James' big sister had her first visit when she was 18 months old and we were expecting him. James' father had many childhood visits, and shares a birthday with the Haunted Mansion. James' first trip where he could see everything was when he was 6 months old. He was such a cutie that I came off a ride with my daughter and found a crowd of picture-snapping tourists around him. My husband said he thought it was a group from China.
baby James' first visit to Disneyland


I have found that one either gets the Disneyland warm fuzzies or ... they don't. I'm in the first group. Add to that:
  • Watching my kids grow up, meeting family and friends, smiling wonderful smiles.
  • Being in a place where I am temporarily trade in wishes for effective IEPs, helpful services for James, and hopes for a verbal son who isn't stigmatized for wishes to share good memories, rides and laughter with those I love.
  • Remembering my still largely non-verbal son saying an unexpected early sentence from the back of the van "We're going to Dis-nee-lan' -- Yayyyyyy!!" as we headed to the parks.
  • Watching the characters interact patiently with the small cute boy who doesn't seem to respond to their greetings and social questions, but who afterward treasures the memories they helped create.

And yeah, Disneyland is a magic place to me. I really like these photos, which are hardly Kodak-worthy, but capture for me the feeling of what it was really like to be there with the kids:
riding the Casey Jr Train while the kids were still little

James and the Matterhorn -- this view will change!

James' ability to tolerate certain rides fluctuates, but his big loves remain constant: Mickey Mouse and ... the Small World ride:
iasw at night

James, loving the Small World ride


So thank you, Disneyland -- for being a great place to visit and to feel like we have more in common with other parents and families than not. Thanks for understanding the kinds of wishes children and grownups have, and helping them come true.

The Slurping Life is taking a trip down Memory Lane too. Visit Melody and check out SOOC Saturday/Sunday entries past & present. No cropping or fixing -- it's life, straight out of the camera.


SOOC Saturday


  

8 comments:

puna said...

This is a great set of Disney photos. I too enjoyed the walk down memory lane! Almost makes me want to go back...almost:)

Lisa said...

Oh I love these, I wanna go!
He really is very sweet and I love that one image of the wonder in his eyes.
Great images.

Floortime Lite Mama said...

OH MY
I love love love love these pictures
Is its James' birthday ?

SoCo mom said...

It's actually Disneyland's birthday. But we have spent many happy hours there that I am sure it seems like a big party to James when we go!

Anonymous said...

Oh honey, these images are SO Kodak worthy...actually, priceless.

rickismom said...

Wish we could go.....

Tara R. said...

Fabulous shots. Sounds like Disney really is the Happiest Place on Earth for you and your family. Glad you all had such a nice time.

Unknown said...

lovely disney photos and great post