Friday, July 03, 2009

Friday Free Day

More fun at the pool!

Today was one of those rare days of unscheduled simple pleasures. We all woke up late and refreshed. James and I enjoyed the back yard under leafy branches and cool (from overnight fog) clear skies. We had conversations about little things.

I had conversations with James. Woah! This seemed like a lightyears-away dream last summer, and here we are doing it!

James seemed a little anxious because today was not fitting into any of his patterns: Daddy was here and not at work. No SHAPE visitors were coming by. There was no school bus. And we weren't hurrying to get anywhere. What was going on?

I tried to explain the ideas of "holiday," "summer vacation," and "free day" to James. We made up a picture chart of what we were doing that day. He and my daughter kept going over to look at it and seemed reassured. It helped my husband and I as well!

I had a nice workout in the late morning while my husband took the kids to lunch and then took them swimming. It was the high point of their day. My daughter kept going underwater (a new skill, and we are so proud of her!) and James seemed to want to only put his feet and lower legs into the water today. I was glad I slathered sunscreen all over his exposed areas. I took him around the pool in my arms, but we mostly spotted airplanes and splashed by the steps.

Afterward, we enjoyed snowcones! It was 2 for the price of 1 this afternoon, and we had the lime and cherry flavours to prove it. James and I took turns feeding each other. He was so tickled to be feeding Mommy. He also ate 3 bananas from the Take One Free platter by the check-in counter and an oatmeal raisin cookie.

Summer is here! It's really here!

No comments: