Thursday, March 02, 2023

Showing Care and Kindness

A common thread for parents and caregivers to those on the spectrum is a deep wanting to know what their child or person is thinking and feeling. After a while we think we know. We hope we are making correct guesses.

And the there are times when a sweet connection is made, and it is everything. 

I remember, after months of being told my son might be nonverbal, he began to make progress. I cried big mama tears when, at age 4, he said "I love you" to me.

The bear hugs (sometimes flying). The big smiles and starry, happy looks at me from his heart through his eyes.

The most recent illness, with me on the sofa, made better by a concerned text from his room to mine: "Mother, do you need ibuprofen?" or a shy shy "there there" pat on my head.

The Thank You card he insisted on giving me because we were sick on Valentine's Day and by the time a friend could take him to the store they were out of those cards.

Tonight, being offered a cookie that he baked with his class today at school (it was delicious). 

I am touched, and I am proud of him for being caring and showing it.

No comments: