Tuesday, August 02, 2022

World of Words

 Communication with James fro me continues to have its Dada moments. This morning, for example, he keeps wandering into the kitchen and asking if I have noticed the van or truck driving by outside. We live on a small quiet street, and I am setting up our week, so no. There are times when he will come out of his room and ask me if I like/hate Kim Jong-Un. Several times he has asked if our cat has eyes (ummmmm, take a look and yes/why???). Last night he asked about explosions. When I asked where, he replied "National Geographic".

Screenshot of CNET's review of the Wordle App

I overhear him talking to his cousin or aunt on the phone and it sounds much more normal. I am so glad he is able to practice more expected types of conversations - it helps him feel more connected.

Our more normal communications happen by texting, Facebook posts, or walkie-talkie bursts ... and we are in the same house. Those exchanges revolve more around are we going out (almost always a "yes"), is there a skunk under our house (sadly also a yes, I suspect), did [insert name] really have the flu (yes), and does Disneyland cost a lot of money (yes again).

There is so much going on inside his head. I'd love to hear more. On the other hand, I will never be bored. These brief exchanges require history retrieval and sleuthing skills to figure out where they may be coming from, to get a bigger picture. I will keep encouraging communication, so he can make himself heard when he wants or needs to be heard.

No comments: