Saturday, May 30, 2020

When Remote Is Better

So, full disclosure: my mileage for most parental and family things has so much variance (how much variance?) ... so much that one can call Ollie-Ollie-Oxen-Free over to me at the extreme range of Autism Lifestyle - that's how far out there I am.

So, the shelter in place as a result of COVID-19 has been - kind of a godsend. My life has SLOWED.
  • I am lucky to be able to work from home. 
  • I don't have to spend my lunch half hour dashing home to get hime ready for school / established at home until I finish my last couple hours of work. 
  • I can flex for meals on-the-fly for us both. 
  • I get to see what he is doing for school and assist at times.
  • My breaks are in my own garden and it feels like a miracle of peace. 
  • I can set up an office and work/take calls on my back deck and nature watch. 
  • It feels so healthy. 

I see benefits for James as well:
  • The paper in his mouth stimming has almost vanished.
  • Escapes to the bathroom are greatly reduced.
  • His mornings are more relaxed while getting back onto a schedule because I don't have to wrassle him awake / dressed / breakfasted before getting him on the bus in the mornings.
I give a million kudos to his teacher and support staff at his school. They have been consistently upbeat, accessible, calm, kind, and encouraging. They make our world a better place.

No comments: