Saturday, October 05, 2019

Not Eating ... Again

Another week of behaviour issues. Another week of being thankful James is at a school prepared to deal with them and James as a human being. The Staff and I are pretty much in agreement that James is not eating enough. Again.

Even as a baby, James had a half-hearted interest in food. It was almost as though he ate to be polite. Then stresses and sensitivities arose, complicated by periodic, horrific bouts of constipation ... and James decided to stop eating. BioFeedback was a blessing, and helped get him back on track.


I sound like a broken record, but the last two years have been incredibly stressful. James now takes a bite or two of his food item, then tosses it. He is growing like a weed. I have stocked snacks that he will eat that have as much protein as possible. I provide meals regardless of whether or not he admits to being hungry. And still, this persists.

To the people who say "they'll eat if they get hungry enough" - I once thought this too. Then I had to deal with people who have eating disorders and special needs.

We will be moving again. Hopefully it will be a more permanent and grounding move. We will get the nutritionist back on board and I hope to brainstorm successfully with the school and ABA to nudge James back into eating more healthily. The struggle is real. I remain hopeful that solutions will be too.

No comments: