Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Homework, New Style

James has started to independently complete his homework! Rather than just leave him to it, I seem to get best results by being nearby, working on things of my own.

Tonight was novel: After finishing math on his own, James read aloud to me for 20 minutes while I dismantled the Christmas tree (still within the one month from Boxing Day: not bad for me). As I slowly cut the tree into pieces and loaded it into the recycling bin, James plowed through The Magic School Bus: The Electric Field Trip, making darned good decoding attempts on topics such as hydroectric power, geothermal plants, and nuclear energy. 

The big word we spent time on? Molecular. James kept at it until he nailed the pronunciation.

As I tackled the tree trunk with first the loppers, then the pruning saw, James wrote 3 sentences, all on his own. Upon review, he needed to swap verbs for the first and third sentences and completely reconstruct the middle sentence. They were simple sentences, but they covered key information about what James read. Yes!

Thanks Grandma and Grandpa! These books are gifts that keep on giving.

No comments: