Monday, August 24, 2009

Magic Marker Monday: Life Coaches

I decluttered my son's room this morning while he was off at preschool and found some of the art work he did while at summer camp last month. It shows a nice progression of how James has grown with everyone's help.

This is a prime example of how James used to work when he had to be coaxed to draw or paint in class:
James going through the motions
Not much going on, right? Oh, I know it's good for doing the fine motor control work and pinging parts of his brain, but artistically it's, well, lacking in joie de vivre.


Somewhere in the second summer camp session, something caught fire. Instead of bringing home a couple of specimens like the one above, there was a great ramping up in participation and exploration. I think I see the hand of someone inspired to help James to give more than going through the motions:
Picking up artistic steam
Notice all the colors? The glitter? Increase of area covered? Someone was having fun, and I hope it was both of them.


Now here is what James likes to do if he's happy, excited, and left to his own devices:
James gone wild
As a doting mother, I am pleased to see energy, glee and passion in this masterpiece (or, messterpiece). A joyous, riotous expression of "Whoopee!!"


I think I am going to turn these into photos, and have them mounted in a frame with 3 windows. I shall call it: "Summer of 2009, With Life Coaches"

Visit 5 Minutes for Special Needs for more Magic Marker Monday.
Special Needs Blog
  

3 comments:

a49erfangirl said...

I love it! I love the drawings and the paint! Imagination! The colors! Fantastic! He did a great job!

Lindy said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I giggled at your "joie de vivre" comment :D And I agree -- that last one is a"WAHHOOO" trapped on paper in fingerpaint -- LOVE it! ;)

~Michelle @ 5MFSN

danette said...

Those are great! It definitely looks like he was having fun. And I love the term "messterpiece," I might have to borrow that one :).