Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Special Exposure / Wordless Weds: Bowling

We had one weird hanging chad (remember those?) Monday of a Spring Break day left this week. Guess what James wanted to do?

Yes Bowling. Go figure, it is literally across the parking lot from his school.

What is bowling like, with an 8 year-old boy on the autism spectrum? Well, it's a ton of fun!




This guy was into the entire bowling experience 210%. He took to the bowling shoes like they were his beloved Crocs. This is the same kiddo who pitched a small fit in Payless Shoes when I suggested he try lace-up and velcro shoes. While we did play with bumpers, he tried bowling on his own (not using a special ramp) for the first time. I suggested he try bowling with his left hand and he did well.




Every roll brought the same level of excitement, hand flaps, jumps, and big grins. I think James loved playing a sport that let him cheer loudly and often.

Boom! Cur-ash!! He took the noises of a busy lanes well, yet he still can't take a leaf blower.


We only played 10 frames, but they made James' morning. He had so been looking forward to this -- he even dressed specially for the event, and wore his hat his Dad found for him:



For more images from the heart and to share some of yours,
visit Special Exposure Wednesday at 5 Minutes for Special Needs.
5 Minutes for Special Needs





               and ... Wordless Wednesday

1 comment:

Ann - making fun family memories with childrens tea sets said...

Oh what fun! I'm with him. I LOVE sports that let me cheer loudly - for myself AND for my grandkids. I'm so glad you had such a delightful day together, full of sweet family memories!