Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Six Months Later ...

During the morning rush to get everyone ready to school, fed, and out the door on time, James threw himself on the sofa and announced: "Mommy, my heart is beating. Is your heart beating?" "Yes, James, it is," I replied, thrilled that he was showing an interest in slightly more metaphysical things and being able to talk with me about them.

"What about Uncle Buzz? Is his heart beating?"

Wow, right over the emotional solar plexus. But time for truth.  "No, Honey, it's not," I said, trying to be calm and low key.

"What happened?" he asked.

"It just gave out. Our bodies work very well, but eventually, they wear down and stop working."

A bit of thoughtful silence. Then: "Is he asleep?"

 "Kind of."

 "His heart has stopped?"

 "Yes."

"Is he waking up?"

"Well, Honey, he's in my heart and yours, always, because we remember and love him."


And now it's time for the school run.

No comments: