Sunday, September 18, 2011

Farmers' Market Sunday

Our town has a lively little Farmers' Market that I've come to love. During the summer it's held twice weekly, but we've made the longer-running Sunday morning one Our Market.

First, I really like Farmers' Markets. They recall random times of picking up fruit fresh from the fields and orchards of the Bay Area when I was a kid. Thanks to my Mom, these seemed more like fun excursions than a chore. Also, I learned to chose my foods differently when I lived in France over the course of 2 years in my 20s. The marketing & cooking mentality shift from weekly Albertson's to as-needed les marchés en plein air excursions was profound. In a good way. And it's nice for me to be able to bring good things from my past life into my current one with children of my own, including one on the spectrum, which has thrown us into a parallel universe, so to speak.

For several years, I was desperate to find things to do with James, my early riser. Usually that meant getting him out of the house, as he wakes ready to go and does not do voice modulation well. Our house does not do sound prevention well, either - quel désastre! So then I stumbled on the Farmers' Market.  Our markets don't start early, but if we first went out for a drive (with coffee!) or playground trip, finishing with the market made a great icing on the cake.

I love being out among people, seeing fresh produce, and smelling good things. James loves the people and the music, because the local Farmers' Markets have live musicians. This summer, I made more of a push to have this be a weekly event for the kids and I. We do enjoy it so.

The bread lady, as we call her, knows us well. She and my daughter share a name, which is a common one with an uncommon pronunciation, which gives them both a thrill. Some day, I promise myself I will indulge in the roasted peppers - mmmm!!! We get ideas for jewelry, crafts, and cooking just by strolling past the stalls. We see people we know and socialize. My daughter pets as many dogs as she can. Both kids love to play in the town's water fountain. I look at all the colours and shapes of the flowers and plants, and think back to when I had time to paint and draw them. For now, I capture them on film.
   

James loves the fresh sour dough ficelles and the music. Over the course of the summer, I have successfully gotten him to watch and admire the musicians from a discrete distance. Before, he'd go right up to them and talk, sometimes touching their arms or instruments while they were playing. Good heavens, he was quick to nip in and do that! Fortunately, they were very good-natured and did not get upset. Now when I remind James that he can watch near the chairs or the walkway walls, he says "okay" and remembers to do it. The trombone still delights him from across the Green, though, and makes him dance whenever he hears it.

The Farmers' Market stays in my mind for days after the event, as we use up the good food that we have bought, in dinners and school lunches. I only wish it lasted throughout the year.


You'll never know who you'll see at the local Farmers' Market!

No comments: