Thursday, September 29, 2011

Art of Redirection: I

James was on a tear late last Sunday afternoon. Could be many factors, including changes in weather, growth spurt, and keeping up the lively pace of First Grade. I suspect, however, that too much TV and play time on the computer at PBSkids.org had a lot to do with it. Yes, I know better and yes, I let it happen. Guilty.

Regardless, when his Dad and I put our feet down and told him no more computer or TV for today, James got very agitated and upset. He cried, used a different voice that got high and panicky, then deep and angry, like a dinosaur. He YELLED (and that boy has lungz) and almost threw things. His Dad, frustrated, wanting to help, but not sure what else to do, tried talking calmly with James, then yelling when he got more physical.

Things calmed for a moment or two, but then James started up again. I got him to come to me so I could give him a hug. I told him I understood that he was angry; that tv & computer time were over for the day. He told me to leave the room. I kept telling him to take a breath and not shout. I gave him hugs whenever he came over for them. He was crying so hard. At times like this I can only guess what it must be like for him.

After just a couple of minutes, at another calmish pause, I asked him to bring me a couple of dirty dishes that were near him. He did, and I thanked him and told him he was a big help to me. I asked if he wanted a yogurt squeeze-up (a favourite treat) and he said yes. I told him if he brought it to me that I'd open it for him. So we did that.

Then he asked in a normal voice if he could write his letters. Of course I said yes!

Redirection, I love you so. May your wisdom and effectiveness never fail.



James, I will try better next weekend to provide more structured activities.

No comments: