Monday, June 13, 2011

Magic Marker Monday: Colourful Gratitude

Well, that was quick! May zipped out the door so quickly, with end of school things to tie up, summer school to set up, and trips to finalize. I vowed I wouldn't do it, but I did: Made the thank you cards for the kids' teachers THE last day of class. Hey, at least I got the Starbucks cards in advance this year!

I have this big Perfection Roadblock that I set up and deal with by ... procrastinating until there is only time to barely get the job done. Gah.

I've gone fancy with blockprint cards & watercolours, but this year so far, I am still a fan of the coloured construction paper cutouts.

My daughter produced these for her teacher:


and whipped this one out for James' O.T. (she loved playing with the letter stamp/markers):



I really enjoyed the ones for the Speech Therapist and her aide -- just the other day she'd taken time to tell me how excited she was to see all the progress he'd made over the year. She also shared that she wished she could make one of her special version books of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, because James adored it:




James' aide got a special heart made by his sister:


and James helped write some of the card, including his name:



For his teacher, James wanted an animal, harkening back to Ag Days and the classroom's theme of "Mary's Lambs" -- he chose a chick (possibly still on that Chicka Chicka theme):



Using the simple materials makes this project fun, not a Perfection Headache. The kids get to see that they can personalize their Thank Yous while they play with pens, paper, and glue. This is a good thing, because we just came back from a week on the road, and I think we have another half dozen Thank Yous to go!

For more great masterpieces or to share some of your own, visit 5 Minutes for Special Needs for more Magic Marker Monday.

Special Needs Blog Photobucket
  

1 comment:

Childlife said...

What a lovely variety of thank you cards! I especially love the one where James signed his name and the heart card that your daughter made :)

Congrats on surviving the last week of school!

~Michelle @ 5MFSN