Monday, September 06, 2010

Summer Finale

I was looking back at pictures taken over the summer. I had trouble realizing we had a summer, it went by so fast. A nice little summary is a trio of pictures his sister took one day
...  more on that, below.

Taking pictures pretty much sums up this summer for me. Both kids have latched on to the novelty that is digital photography. My daughter has a fabulous eye for composition and my son loves to push buttons. My daughter likes to create things and her brother likes to create energy. They both love being able to do something they see both parents doing, with "grownup" technology.

Also, I am getting older, and time keeps picking up speed and racing by me. If I don't take pictures, I totally blank out on what happened last week. My calendar fixes me to the future and my camera has become my diary and my memory. Just call my Mommy Mnemonic. Heh. Remember that movie? Aaaaaancient history! This also reminds me to step it up on the blog posts. Too often I see James doing something I think is very recent, only to look back here and realize he's been doing it for longer than I thought.

Add to that the fact that James' Dad has a killer commute/work schedule, and is on the road and/or working for way too many hours in the day. Pictures are a great way to keep us more in touch.

This summer, James had needed a little more interaction and reassurance at bedtime, before he can drop off to sleep. He's traditionally been a hands-off baby and preschooler after jammie change time, as in the more I tried to rock/hold him and sing/tell stories,  the fussier he'd get and longer he'd stay up. Now he wants his sister to tell him Teletubby stories and me to sing him to sleep. So I made him a quick watercolour drawing from one of his favourite Laurie Berkner songs about a Magic Box:

He loves it!

Finally, with James' verbal and social skills increasing, he has become more fun to his sister, and they play together more and more. That were they playing with together a few weeks ago?

No comments: