Sunday, July 04, 2010

July 4th in SoCo

Growing up in Oakland, July 4th was celebrated rather sedately. It seemed to be an excuse for the boys to light off firecrackers. My brother used to take the bus for a trip to Oakland Chinatown, where they sold them by the brickload.

Then I moved to Alameda, and was pleased to really experience Independence Day spirit, with bunting galore on Victorians and street lamps, bands in the parks, and a fabulous parade (which had its grand finale at the grand stands, just down the block from my house).

I am so happy that Sonoma County shares this spirit. Cities and towns sport flags and bunting, our town had a wonderful down-home celebration, and on my way to a party out in the country, I saw this:






Happy Fourth of July!


P.S.: Last night I watched the fireworks show with my daughter from the sidewalk outside our house. Hopefully James can stay up next year and watch too!

No comments: