Friday, July 30, 2010

4 Counties, 3 Appts, 2 People, 1 Day

Yesterday I had to drive about 150 miles (round-trip) through 4 counties to get James to 3 appointments. Over a 7-hour period.

Were we crying and exhausted by 4pm? Well, only a little bit.

Was it worth it? Yes.

The best was the first (and farthest) appointment, at the tail end of gnarly commute. We spent over an hour with one physical therapist in a brand-spanking new building to formally evaluate James' muscle development through our HMO. The program and department are (I think) less than 2 years old, which is why I hadn't heard about it when I first asked that James be referred for a formal diagnosis almost 3.5 years back.

I really liked this woman. I felt she not only really listened to me but also that she was really observing James, asking good questions, looking at movements I hadn't seen him examined about before ... and she even gave me a great suggestion to take to kindergarten regarding playground safety for my boy. Awesome.

The other 2 appointments were the well-check so his health certificate could be signed and prepared for Kindergarten, and an immunization shot (MMR -- youch).

On a different note, James loved the huge blueberry muffin from Peets just before his first appointment, and his delighted, vanilla ice cream-covered face at Fentons made more than a few people smile back at him. And he was so happy that all he had to do this morning was wake up and go to summer camp (and play in the water).

No comments: