Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tackle It Tuesday: Pulling Funding Out of a Hat

Here in California, news services have been relentlessly passing along the bad news most parents are having to deal with: lack of funds means cuts in services. Class sizes in public schools are increasing again, because the district is cutting teachers (not administrators, but the front line teachers). Special needs kids get even more cuts, because they have more needs. I think this is crazy and short-sighted.


Parents know that sooner or later The System is going to have to deal with their kids with special needs. For years we have been told by professionals that the sooner our son's needs were assessed and addressed, the more progress he would make toward a more mainstream existence and that he would tend to have fewer problems later in life.

Sure the politicians get closer to a less out of-whack-budget by denying services to my son now, as well as hundreds of thousand others. What is their genius plan for dealing with all the needs that balloon out of control because there was no help up front, early on, when these people could have been helped to lead more independent, happy lives? Well, they have no plan, because they'll be out of there and on to greener pastures. Parents and middle-class America (and Californians) will be left holding the bag.

Three years ago I would have sucked it up, given up things I'd treated myself to, like extra social events, new shoes, and eating out -- then used my paycheck to get my son what he needs. I can't do that now because I left my job to coordinate care and services for my son, as well as work with him as much as I can. I've already given up those extras. Our family is down one paycheck and took a few bumps down in healthcare (which, thankfully, we still have). And there are speech and P/T services that are needed by James yet are not covered by medical or school services. Our wonderful North Bay Regional Center's budget has been slashed, and therefore, James is receiving less funding and services.

I can't be the governor or have the budget folks listen to my emails, but I can try help find some funding for local programs that still soldier on, doing it for the kids. This Spring, James and I walked and raised funds for Autism Speaks. Thank you everyone for helping us do that! Next up is raising more funds for the CATS Program. Actually, we've has a successful small fundraiser at Powell's, our local candy store. Now I am looking into working with a local kids' place to have a money-raising play date.

To kick this off, I talked with the owner of said kids' place, who was wonderfully warm and sympathetic. Next, I kicked the idea around with several parents, who liked the idea. Next up I will go back to the kids' place owner and get some possible dates about 3-4 weeks down the road. Another parent is promising to email me a list of other parents who'd like to participate. I'll offer up some dates and see which one gets the best response, then move forward to booking the date and getting the word out there.

A lot of work? You bet. Reason why? The best possible:

This may not be housework, but it's sure part of my:

No comments: