Thursday, March 04, 2010

Educational Cuts Protest (A Love Rant)

So today there were many protests in California over more proposed budget cuts to public education in California.

As a mom of a child on the autism spectrum who is in the public school system, I have seen services whacked for my son from both sides. Rules were changed as to how respite care funds can be used, and the pool of available funds keeps dwindling each year. If James needed in-home health care or I needed someone to help me lift and care for him, I'd be looking at the threat of a whole lotta nothing in the area of home health services. Our classrooms have lost their aids and class sizes are increasing.

Class sizes; yeah. Regular class sizes go up because teachers are let go. Special needs classes are going up because the official stats are now 1 in 90 children are being diagnosed with autism. That has been reinterpreted as a new diagnosis of autism every 20 minutes.

The teachers have seen budgets and programs slashed and colleagues' jobs axed. There are fewer people to help them do their jobs. There are fewer or no funds for school maintenance or capital improvements. Books are lacking. Parents pool what shrinking money they have and buy tissue and pencils for the classrooms. Scholastic book fairs are now a lifesaver that enable parents help provide books for learning modules in their child's classroom.

Here are some pictures from the pink slip row in the parking lot at my daughter's school this morning:
pink slip auto row

severe educational budget cuts are a lesson plan for disaster

schools are not broken, they're broke


And the problem does not go away for higher education. UC students are being hit with a 32% tuition increase, which is insane in this economy. As a 1986 alumni of UCSC, I am outraged at the grossly exorbitant wages being paid to these men who look after themselves and their buddies more than for the UC educational system.

To me it's exactly the same as the banking & corporate industries rewarding themselves for bad management. We hear the same excuses of needing to pay what everyone else is paying in terms of compensation. Mister, you are looking in the wrong salary pond. Take a good look at the second-rate tier and the Loser categories, because that's the level at which you are actually performing. Take a good freakin' look at MY salary (or lack thereof) and let's compare what's "reasonable cost." I am telling you now I can't afford your luxuries. Not won't support -- I. Can't. Afford. Them.

Here's a thought: earn your keep. Do the job right and then let's discuss pay incentives. That goes triple for our state and federal elected representatives. Reward the heroes in the trenches for a change.

I've volunteered in all my childrens' classrooms and the dedication and hard work these people put into their jobs and my kids just blows me away. THEY are the people who deserve to be rewarded in the budget wars. Because then my kids win too. Our future is brighter. We support each other, instead the egos and bank accounts of a few.

No comments: