Sunday, August 10, 2008

Crickets

I am listening right now to crickets. It's been a peaceful evening. James' older sister is sleeping over at Nana & Apu's. James got lots of extra attention from daddy & mommy, and he ate it up more than his dinner.

James eating watermelon
He played the harmonica & encouraged us to sing the A-B-C song in between harmonica choruses. He wrassled with his daddy. He got bath time and extra loving from his mommy at bedtime. He is one happy camper. OMG, I remember the first two years with my daughter, when night times were still peaceful because there was only one child to put to bed. It makes a nice change of pace from the normal zoo-like bedtime routine.

James likes to read The Rainbow Frogs; Caps for Sale; Little Quack; and The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear at bedtime.

After reading to him, I turn out the lights and pick him up so I can hug and sing to him. He *loves* this. I start with Springtime in the Rockies and Come My Love, Come ... and usually finish with Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star. Tonight he also got sings like I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles and I've Been Floating Down That Old Green River. (When he is not feeling well, I sit with him in the rocker and sing the theme song to The Rocky Horror Picture Show -- it's worked like a charm with him since he was three months old.)

I love the way he snuggles up to me, sighs, and puts his head sideways on my shoulder when I start to sing. He is getting so big now it's a tight fit. But we'll keep it up as long as we can!

No comments: