My daughter picked out The Princess and the Pizza. James took a shine to Sweet Dreams, Maisy. I found Silver Chief, Dog of the North for my mom. And I ... got to smell old books.
I am a glutton for old books and their smelly, glorious pages.
Let me back up a bit and note some Lessons Learned about James and a parade:
- The noise will get to him, after about 10 minutes; rest periods, even brief ones, help a lot
- Reaffirmation that James does not take heat well
- Confirmation that humidity makes him Cranky, with hitting not far behind
- All the dogs in the crowd bring his anxiety levels up, although he no longer cries when they push up at him
- He adores watching live music, and vehicles that have things going around on them
- Bubbles Rule!
The new books were a hit at bedtime that night. I love it that James will now sit on my lap and read a book with me. Last year this time he'd eat, rip, and throw books only; he would not sit on my lap for a bedtime routine. Now, he expects multiple readings throughout the day and holds his arms up to me, so I will hold him while I sing him songs before he goes to sleep.
We had fog last night, so we are cool again this morning. I think I'll take the kids out to the Farmers' Market and then to a playground for lunch, so my husband can keep working on dismembering the disused hot tub that has become a wildlife refuge.